Saturday, May 20, 2006

Two Incomes are Better Than One

We made it in one piece! There were times during our final plane ride into Tulita when I thought we might not make it. Have you ever driven in an old clunker of a car where the driver has to open your door from the inside because the outside handle doesn't work? Yeah, imagine that, only on a plane. The pilot looked to be about 14, and the plane about 40. It was a 5 seater (counting the pilot and co-pilot seats).

As the guys at the airport were checking the list of passengers, they recognized Nicole's name. No surprise after flying in 11 or so tubs of our junk. This airline also delivers the mail to Tulita.

We landed on a dirt runway. The snow is gone, and the weather is now warm. It's almost stuffy here in our hotel room. Nicole's new boss greeted us at the airport. Perhaps airport is a bit of a stretch. It would be more accurate to say she greeted us in the small building on the edge of the clearing where planes land. We saw our house, but we won't be moving in until Monday. It's a freaking log cabin! This makes the romantic in me want to start writing poetry. How many people can say they live in a log cabin by the Mackenzie River?

And finally, to add insult to injury, I was offered a job within my first four hours on the ground. We went to buy groceries (which is a post in itself), and the guy in charge told me to come in on Tuesday if I want work. I was just getting used to the idea of unemployment: I'd brought so many books. I was planning on getting our house in order, doing some writing and maybe attempting a radio documentary. But the offer of steady work and something to keep me busy eight hours a day is almost too good to pass up. Two incomes are better than one. I guess, if I do start work, Nicole and I will officially be DINKS (Dual Incomes, No Kids).

No comments: