Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Time is Money

Lately I feel as if we’re getting ready to go camping on a very long, very expensive camping trip. Money has begun to loose its meaning, at least for a cheapskate such as myself. If we think we’ll need it and we don’t have it, we buy it. New TV? Done. BBQ? I don’t care how short the summers are, we’re not going two years without a BBQ. Fishing pole? Fishing is the new Internet: hours of mindless entertainment while attached to a long piece of wire.

Today is Tuesday morning. We leave on Friday morning. Although money doesn’t mean much anymore, time is in short supply. We have today and tomorrow to get the last minute stuff shipped up. My parents’ lawn needs to be mowed. Tomorrow night I pick up my parents and grandparents from the airport. We’ll have one day with them, and the next morning they’ll be taking us to the airport. There’s so much we need to do before we leave, but also so much we want to do too. Sunday night was spent with friends at a BBQ. Last night we went to see a movie. Tomorrow I hope to drive out to the Minas Basin one more time and smell the salt water.

The pressure is getting to me a bit, at least in my dreams. The other night I dreamt I was perched on top of a stack of boxes that were ready to fall at any moment. Another dream had Nicole and I in jail. It wasn’t that bad. I tried to make the most of incarceration by writing a tell-all book about what it’s like on the inside. But last night I slept more soundly.

We will see what the next few days bring. My next post may be from Tulita. Who knows when that will be? We arrive Saturday afternoon, but I’ll need to use Nicole’s work computer to post. Monday is a holiday. We’ll be getting settled in as well. But I plan on writing a longhand journal on the way up, and I will transcribe bits and pieces and post them as time permits. So stay tuned.

No comments: