Saturday, September 22, 2007

One Crow For Sorrow


Death seems more common here in the north. Not death itself, which is a part of life, but tragic death. The death of young people. Last year it was the plane crash. On my first day here in McPherson there was a funeral for a girl who had commited suicide. Today, the husband of an employee at the store was killed in an accident out on the Dempster.

Last night she was excited because he was coming home from working away. She hadn't seen him in a while. He made it home ok, but this morning I learned that he had been killed on his way back to work. I had just delivered them a new washer the other day. I had just ordered them a new king size bed. It hasn't even arrived yet. I wanted to drive down and see her. But I didn't have to because she came in to the store with her kids. You could tell she was crying. Her kids were crying openly, but they bravely marched through the store, picking up some odds and ends, and then renting some movies. I approached her and told her if she needed anything to call. An empty gesture, but one I felt I had to do. I couldn't just look away.


Last week, a bootleger from town rolled her car and walked away unharmed. You can't help but wonder why a hard-working family man could be taken in the same way a week later. I know it's wrong, but I can't help wishing it had been the other way around.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agreed with your thoughts on the situation, Brodie. Events like that seem to happen with no rhyme or reason, I like to believe their is some rhyme or reason to it, but who knows. Two questions for you though, one what is the picture at the bottom of the page and what did you mean by "empty gesture"? Good luck with everything.

Unknown said...

Sorry, about the above grammatical errors.

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up Buddy. Its true you see alot of youngans seemingly senseless deaths in the actic. Part of that is small towns and isolation. But like that family every one soldiers on as they truly believe once you die you are in a better place for us to see you again and it is easier to take.

Anonymous said...

I obviously can't spell either but you can still get my meaning

Anonymous said...

Brodie, that was certainly a terrible tragedy. You did the best you could have done by acknowledging her sorrow. Just be yourself towards her, and she will appreciate it more than she will be able to show.

Take care. Hoping for better days to come to you.

Love Aunt Deb

Gregory Turnbull said...

In twenty two years I have seen a lot of senseless deaths. I gave up trying to see the logic in it. We all get the time we get. That little dash between the year we are born and the year we die. What we do with it is what's important. I'll bet that the impact of the life of a loving Father and Husband will leave a longer mark than a bootlegger every time. See you soon, buddy.

Anonymous said...

my brother was killed on his way back to his teaching job in a small southern town on a rainy friday afternoon in October 2008. He was killed because two STUPID teenagers chose to race on that country road. My brother was in a truck but still was DOA - the boys unharmed......such is LIFE?

the entire town came to honor my brother (about 700 people) BUT it didn't matter........his LIFE was cut TOO SHORT by poor choices.....

my niece, nephews and myself have to carry this pain FOREVER......it will NEVER be the same.....