Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Just like a Vacation.

As soon as I woke up this morning, I thought to myself "God I feel well rested." This feeling of well-being lasted for about two seconds, and then I lunged across the bed to check the time.

8:55 a.m.

We usually get up at seven. I'm supposed to be to work at nine, and Nicole is supposed to be to work at 8:30. Granted, both of our places of employment are only 5 minutes away, but still, sleeping in is sleeping in.

Our coffee maker, which has a timer to turn on and off, had turned off only two minutes before we got up. That sweet nectar of the morn was still warm. I gulped down a few mouthfuls, cleaned myself up, and went on my way. I was about 20 minutes late. Nobody seemed to care or need an explanation.

Nicole told me the same sort of story when she arrived. Her boss is away on vacation. The other two people in the office were sitting around, drinking coffee.

I don't know how I will ever cope with the stress of real life when we move back south in a few years. People don't get mad around here. I see it every day at the store.

"Got any bread?"

"No sorry. We're sold out of bread. And the plane won't be in until tomorrow."

Now imagine how mad you might get if every store in town (ok, the only store in town) was out of bread. The basic staple of any diet. Perhaps you might not get mad, but there are people out there who would.

"Oh ok. Got any lettuce?"

"No, we're out of that too."

Big smile

"Ok, thanks anyway."

And then they head for the frozen pizza section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Brod .... you had me in fits! This is the first chance I've had to get to your blog, but I'll be checking regularly from now on. I knew there was at least one book in you from all the crazy notes you've left on our kitchen table over the years ... looks like you have a start on it. Will pass your blog address on to all the others, I know they'll enjoy hearing of your escapades too. Say "hi" to Nicole ... I'll e-mail soon. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Brod-Dave's mother told me about your blog-great stories I especially like the mouse tale---will stay tuned-lv MUM