Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tinfoil Hats

I woke up at eight this morning with sunlight trying to leak through the curtains. It got me to thinking: how the hell are we going to keep our bedroom dark up there? On the day we're due to arrive (May 20th), the sun will rise at quarter to five in the morning , and set at five minutes to midnight. On the week of June 18-24, there will only be about two and a half hours every day when the sun is below the horizon.

When I was a kid they used to show a short piece on Sesame Street (the Canadian version) about a girl who lived in the north. I remember her opening tinfoil-covered windows to let light in.

This subject came up when I was home on the weekend. My dad warned me not to try putting tinfoil on the windows, becuase the heat from the sun might crack the window pane.

So I googled "tinfoil on windows." I got a surprising number of hits advocating the use of tinfoil on windows to keep aliens out. The rest of the posts were by computer geeks talking about Microsoft Windows and making lame jokes about tinfoil hats.

So now I'm thinking dark towels, or else a night mask. I'm sure this is one of the many problems that will be easily solved once we get there. It's also one of those little things that will weigh on my mind for the next month.

No comments: