Monday, April 24, 2006

Shopping Spree

It's been five days since we found out about the job, and the reality of it is now sinking in. Mom and Dad seem to be handling the news a bit better. Yesterday Dad gave me a new toolbag full of tools we might need. A new screwdriver set, a ratchet set, and some pliers. He said it was going to be a birthday present, but this will save on shipping.

On Saturday morning, Mom took Nicole and I to Halifax. It's been a long time since I bought a lot of new clothes at once. Generally I shop at frenchy's (used clothing). People say I'm cheap. I prefer the term frugal. Why should I pay more than $10 for a good shirt? Anything beyond that, and you're paying for the label.

The first store we stopped at was Mark's Work Warehouse. They were having a spring sale, which was perfect for two people headed to a much colder climate. First I raided the sales racks just outside the door. Four $5 t-shirts. Then I found a table at the back with $10 jeans. I used to always buy Levi's. It was the one label I was a sucker for, and then only because they make good quality jeans. But $30 later, I had myself 3 new pairs of jeans.

Finally, I found some good button-up work shirts and fleece sweaters on for $10. I bought two sweaters and a shirt from that rack.

If I had been paying full price, I would have probably spent close to $300. Instead I spent less than $100. Normally, spending even that much on clothes still would have bothered me. Come to think of it, I would never spend $100 on clothes in a single day. But now I have this little voice in the back of my head saying "What the hell! You won't be doing any shopping where you're going."

No comments: